numbers and hands

I noticed the other day that counting the joints in our hands we get the number 28! 14 on each. This corresponds to the lunar month cycle. Kinda unrelated to this is this radio program about numbers, I thought there was some good information here. https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/367903 

You need to be a member of galacticSpacebook to add comments!

Join galacticSpacebook

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My 2 cents about numbers & hands: I had recently studied the way babylonians do their counts using both hands. The right one counts up to 12, and the left one counts up to 5 superunits of 12 (therefore, 12x5=60).

With the right hand: use your thumb to count 3 phalanges on each of the remaining 4 fingers

With the left hand: every time you group 12 units, you use one finger to count up to 5 superunits of 12 units. That way, you can count up to 60 using your hands. This is six times the amount of an average modern person, who will only count up to 10 with their 10 fingers

I think that the origin of the 12:60 frequency is a mix between:

1) the babylonians way to count (5 times 12 phalanges = 60 units)

2) the concept of using a circle to measure cycles of time (a circle is the minimum expression of a point that begins a cycle and ends in the same place... also remember that the sun and the moon has this shape), and...

3) the elegance of the 360 number (who is very close to the 365.2422 solar cycle AND can be divided into another 24 numbers, including the ones important to the babylonian system (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 45, 60, 72, 90, 120, 180 and 360).

fun fact one: this info is provided from someone with seal 5, tone 12, and kin factor 60 (the number you obtain from multiplying your seal by your tone, an idea received on a dream between kin 88 & 89)

fun fact two: the same day I connected all those ideas, I challenged myself to find out a better way to count, better than the 12:60 system.... well, if you use your left hand to count 12 superunits of 12 units, using your 12 phalanges instead of only using your 5 fingers, you can count up to... 144! and we know the importance of that number, you know, the 144,000 days on a baktun, the inverse of 441, the 144,000 mentioned on the bible... I smiled and thought "jeje, a superbabylonian system!"

and for the curious: 364 can be divided into 12 numbers: 1, 2, 4, 7, 13, 14, 26, 28, 52, 91, 182, 364

a blog post about all of this would be a good idea? :P

• Sometimes the number of joints in one's hands depends on how big the hands are, or how big the joints are.... now if these are ganga joints, certainly there will be less, unless one has basketball hands.....   if one uses papertowels to roll their joints, then, nevermind hands, get a wheel barrow...      :-)

• actually it seems i miscounted and there are actually 30 joints in our hands, there being 3 that move the thumbs. I didn't notice there are two separate ones that move the base of the thumbs up and down, and another at the base that moves it left and right. This did get me thinking about numbers and human anatomy. and I found out that I have 28 teeth, though the average adult has 32, and the number of bones in the average adult is 206. and there are 24 ribs. 

This reply was deleted.
Live Support